The Boveda 49%HA packets are the ideal solution for SIMPLE humidity control. Acoustic Remedy Cases and Boveda (formerly Humidipak) have a long relationship dating back nearly 10 years when we sold them six ClimaStands for their corporate headquarters outside Minneapolis, MN. They are an amazing small business offering creative solutions to the world and musicians should feel lucky their technology works so flawlessly to protect their instruments.
Why do we love these packets so much?
Because when combined with the airtight environment achieved with our patented gasket and latch system, the packets are the simplest and most reliable humidity control system on the market.
History of Boveda vs. D'Addario vs. Humidipak
Boveda has always been the manufacturer of all humidity control packets on the market regardless of what name they were sold under or who was the primary distributer of the packets. Boveda was previously called Humidipak, which was marketed and sold by D'Addario under their Planet Waves product line. After some time, Humidipak changed to D'Addario's 2-Way Humidification System. Boveda has recently began to offer their product direct to the consumer to compliment their full line of cigar and herbal medicine packets.
Recently we decided to start using the Boveda packets after many years of using the D'Addario 2-Way Humidification System. Again - the packets are identical - so the decision was simple especially considering some clear advantages to Boveda over D'Addario described below.
Types of Boveda Packets
The benefit of Boveda is that they not only offer the 49% packets, which are the ideal humidity level for stringed instruments, but they also offer a 49%HA for really humid climates and also 72% packets for really dry regions and to "season" our case and/or guitar. We offer the full range of packets at Acoustic Remedy Cases for purchase and also include a starter kit with each purchase of a ClimaStand. More information on the 49% and 72% packets can be found on those product pages.
- Boveda 40 gram 49%HA for wood instruments
- Packaged in a non-reusable plastic bag; however, keeping them in this bag until use will extend the shelf life to 2+ years
- Available in single, 5, 10, or 20 pack quantities. If different quantities are desired, add the single packs to your cart get to correct quantity
- Adds or removes moisture on its own (eliminates messy sponges, hoses, discs, etc.) and automatically maintains a constant relative humidity (RH) between 40-60%—the ideal climate for wood instruments
- Typically lasts between 2-6 months in a seasoned Acoustic Remedy ClimaStand, based on time of year and climate
- Each ClimaStand comes with a starter kit and leak-resistant Boveda pouch holders. Can also be used with the Boveda 1 Packet | Aluminum Holder, Boveda 2 Packet | Aluminum Holder, or Boveda 2 Packet | Cedar Holder.
- Boveda 49%HA Packet Dimensions: 5.25" x 3.5"
- Availability: Ships within 2-3 business days
IS 49% RH HIGH ABSORPTION THE RIGHT BOVEDA FOR YOUR WOOD INSTRUMENT?
- You and your wood instrument live in a climate whose humidity level is above 50% year around. Not sure? Check your local humidity levels.
- You want to reduce mildew build-up and odors while balancing the humidity level in your case.
- Your wood instrument is unlikely to dry out, but with high humidity levels you’re worried about warping
HOW DOES BOVEDA 49% HA DIFFER FROM BOVEDA 49%?
Boveda 49% HA absorbs 3x more moisture than Boveda 49% RH and safely protects your wood instrument against damage from extreme humidity. There’s a specific geometry built into your wood instrument. No matter the cost of your instrument, it is delicate and can be damaged by fluctuations in humidity. If you expose your wood instrument to humidity swings day after day, you can throw of its measured alignment and cause permanent damage. Storing your wood instrument in a ClimaStand with Boveda packets:
- Preserves your instrument
- Keeps it out of the shop
- Retains vitality and balanced sound with your instruments
Even in drippy locales, humidity control is no sweat for Boveda
Boveda is pure water and natural salts sealed inside a leak-proof membrane that only releases pure water vapor when it’s needed.
Boveda 49% HA formula is more salt, less water. Boveda absorbs and adds moisture slowly and precisely to achieve and maintain a relative humidity (RH) level between 40 and 60% in your closed case.
Boveda 49% HA was tested in a lab at rainforest-like conditions and the results of the Boveda 49%HA were:
- It expanded to 65 grams, meaning it absorbed a full 25 grams of water!
- Kept its leak-proof seal
- Maintained the recommended 40-60% RH inside the closed environment